Dulson Training

Buses / Coaches - D1 Minibus

Course Information

What do I need before I start?

You must hold a valid UK driving licence and be at least 18.

What will I be doing? 

  • Pass a medical and apply for a Cat D1 provisional entitlement.
  • Prepare online and pass the Multiple Choice and Hazard Perception theory tests.
  • Driver training and practical test.
  • Driver CPC training and test if you will be driving professionally. 

Once you pass the theory tests we recommend arranging a free taster session. This is a perfect opportunity to visit one of our sites and find out more about the courses that we offer and try the equipment that we use. It allows us to predict a suitable amount of lessons for you. 

Where will I do my course and test?

Our driving courses are available in Shrewsbury, Telford and Wrexham. We have hundreds of driving tests pre booked at these locations. Shrewsbury and Telford are private DVSA test sites used exclusively by Dulson Training for training and tests. We will arrange an intensive training course and test to fit in with your schedule available 7 days a week. We operate the only facility in Shrewsbury for Cat D1 driving tests.


How does the training work?

We supply the equipment you need for the training and test. Our Ford Transit Cat D1 is easy to drive, small and easy to reverse. Your lessons will be in the same location as your test. Our experienced instructors will prepare you for the 90 minute test one to one. Covering the reversing exercise, safety questions and on road driving. 

The course is not fixed, we can arrange more or less training depending on your skill and experience. Our popular 8 hour course works very well for most people and produces an excellent pass rate more than double of the national average.  This course is usually split into two 4 hour days including the DVSA test. 

Will I need a Driver CPC? 

If you will be driving professionally you will need a Driver CPC. To qualify you will need to pass the Mod 2 Case Studies and Mod 4 Practical Demo Tests. 

The Mod 4 Practical Demo training and test will be integrated with your Cat D1 course with our in-house DVSA assessors. 

On completion you will receive a Drivers Qualification Card valid for 5 years. To update this card you will need to complete 35 hours (5 days) periodic training within the 5 years. We hold periodic training courses every week. 

Can I pay monthly? 

We are able to spread the costs up to 5 years with variable or fixed APR rates. A credit check and T&C’s apply. You can complete the finance application in your name or someone can apply on your behalf. We can work out a monthly plan depending on your budget by adjusting the deposit and the duration of the credit. 

D1+E (Minibus towing a trailer)

You will need to pass the Cat D1 before applying for a Cat D1+E provisional. The D1+E practical training and test lay out and costs are the same as the Cat D1. 

If you already hold a Cat D1+E with a ‘101’ restriction on acquired rights you will need to pass a medical and theory test before undertaking the D1+E practical training and test. 

You can email us on info@dulsontraining.co.uk or contact our head office on 01952 770659 to discuss.

Start Now

  • Experienced Course - 2 days approx 8 hours inc test. Suitable for confident drivers with local road knowledge and some experience driving larger vehicles and vans. 
  • Novice Course - 3 days approx 12 hours inc test. Suitable for anyone who has not driven larger vehicles or vans. 

Training courses available in Shrewsbury, Telford and Wrexham. 

We are the only training provider to offer this course in Shrewsbury. We have exclusive use to the DVSA test site in Shrewsbury. 

D1 Minibus

  • Pay Monthly - Finance Available 
  • One-2-One Training 7 Days Per Week
  • Excellent Pass Rates
  • Great Value 
  • Free Assessment 
  • Everything Supplied
  • Take Your Test At Our Private Test Site 
  • Choose Shrewsbury, Telford or Wrexham

Licence Requirements

  • Must be 18 years +
  • Must hold a valid UK Driving Licence

Who should train? Why should I train?

Schools, colleges, universities, charities, community services, activity centres, Scouts, military, taxi companies, and many more organisations and professions may require you to have a D1 minibus licence.

You may be asked to transport people as part of your current job or you may wish to apply for employment that requires you to hold a D1 Minibus licence. If you already have a D1 with a ‘101’ restriction you will need to remove the restriction by completing the licence acquisition steps.

Our experienced team can help to guide you through the licencing requirements for transporting people.

The Process

Request your free application pack.



We can arrange a flexible training course to work around you.

Arrange a Medical.


Apply for your provisional licence.


We'll arrange your free Driving Assessment.



We will book your theory tests and set you up to revise!

Pass your Multiple Choice and Hazard Perception theory tests..

Choose your location and book your course.

Choose your payment option.


Complete the driver training course.



Take the test at one of our private sites.



Complete your Driver CPC if driving professionally.

What does the training include?

Free Training

We provide a free application pack which includes the DVLA forms for the medical exam and provisional application.

Free Training

We provide you with access to online theory revision.

Free Training

You must pass theory tests including Multiple Choice and Hazard Perception.

Free Training

Driver CPC Case Studies and Practical Demo Mod 4 will be required if you will be driving professionally.


We supply a new minibus for you to take your test in which is fitted with reversing cameras.

Free Training

We provide professional driver training to prepare you for the test.

Driving test

We arrange the driving test.